Friday 1 October 2010

End of my vacation

I am now sitting by the window of the train which is running through the lush-green paddy fields as it races towards its destination, Bangalore. My vacation in my home town has come to an end. It was short and sweet. Vacations should be like this. In fact, everything in life should be like this -- precise. It should be like the delicacies which fills the stomach, doesn’t over-stuff it and at the same time the tongue longs for some more of it. So, you don’t get to eat more, but you always feel if only you could have more – you crave for it! The taste-buds enjoy it, the mind enjoys it, the stomach enjoys it and its healthy – the health enjoys it.
Had my vacation been a month-long program, then surely I would have been so bored that I would not look forward to any other vacation. In life those who live life till their eighties and nineties, often crippled and bed-ridden at the end of their life, perhaps lose the sweetness of their life. They forget their interesting part of their life when they had fun and frolic. They only look up to the Almighty to call it a day for them Dragging is never interesting, stretching anything unnecessarily beyond a certain point becomes more of a liability Be it stretching a vacation, stretching a relationship, stretching life, stretching a movie or stretching a journey.
So, when I planned my vacation, I made sure that I don’t stretch it so long that it becomes a bore and at the same time it is not so short that it will fly in a jiffy. My vacation should be optimum.
My stay in my home town went on pretty well. There was fun and enjoyment. The first birthday celebration of my daughter was a memorable day. It reminded me again how fast time flies and how each and every moment of our life is precious and hence should be enjoyed to the fullest. It was also an occasion to meet quite a few relatives, whom I had not met for years due to my stay in bangalore and hence the inability to attend other social gatherings. The thing I realized during my stay in Chandannagore is my five senses, and also perhaps my sixth sense, do not have to be as alert as they are when in Bangalore. The calm and serene surroundings and the pace of the life there, which may be like the slow motion of the life in Bangalore, provided a much-needed soothing effect on me.
It’s a small town with warm people having small dreams. They take life as it comes. They are content with the small things in life. All may not know the huge world outside. To many over there, Bangalore is a far-off place, Durga Puja (the main festival of the Bengalis, the residents of that place) is celebrated in most parts of India, earning a square meal a day and saving something for the future are all that they look forward to.
The sun is setting in the western horizon. It has drenched the sky and the floating clouds in crimson orange. Tomorrow I will wake up and find the sun rise in Bangalore as the train will enter the station at around 6 in the morning. It seems that the setting sun has taken with it a handful of memories – memories of fun, enjoyment, merry-making, laughter...all with a tinge of sadness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Precisely good piece