Friday 12 March 2010

In the loving memory of...

There was this thought of fine doing rounds in my head for quite some time. This thought about networking sites. After 30-40 years when this generation of orkut and facebook users will be either be dead or in the twilight zone of their life, what happens to these networking sites?
Lets say, if I am alive at 80, I will have 400 "friends" in my friend list and among them 380 are dead. I open my Facebook account...there will be pictures previously uploaded, there will be scraps that we shared for the past few years or decades. There will be every proof about the person in flesh and blood. What the networking sites will not tell is that the person is no more. I shudder to think that day.

Networking sites for this generation will then become more of an obituary site rather than a networking site...it will become the "soft-copy of the grave-yard".

One of my dear cousins died yesterday...she is there in my orkut friend list...she is no more in this world. She exists in the virtual world, but ceases to exist in the physical one.

1 down from my friend list.

May her soul rest in peace. GOD bless her!

No comments: