Monday 25 February 2008

The English Weather!

"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...
If there is a day I can give, I will give sunshine all the time"
these are lines from the famous singer John Denver.

When I was in India I was used to the sun and its scorching heat. Waiting in the bus stop or walking to the market in a hot summer noon were not the things I looked forward to. Many times getting out in the sun seemed more of a punishment. So in Wimbledon when the spectators clapped when the sun shone on the Centre Court, I wondered why they did so. I never realised how the sun is unmindfully linked in our day-to-day life.

In UK things are quite different. Here when you stand in the bus stop you dont have to bother about the sun, because hardy you find it shinning! You have to bother about the rain, the clouds. Whether the meteorologists say or not, there is always the chances of rain - anywhere, anytime. The drizzle; the cloudy days; the cool breeze; I have slowly become so used to the English weather. Its not the kind of weather where you will feel the adrenaline pumping and want to go out to work. It is the kind of weather you like to stay indoors and spend lazily. You feel sleepy and want to take as much sleep as you can! And in the afternoon if the sun comes out you want to take out the cricket kit and get yourself warm in the field.
I cannot say whether people will agree with me, but its a kind of poetic and romantic weather. I felt I came more close to nature. I began to appreciate nature even when there are no mountains or oceans around. Another thing, which may sound contradictory to some extent is that the night sky is sometimes very clear here. I have not seen so many stars in the smoky sky of Bangalore, India.
The nature expresses herself so differently here. It brings a thought in my mind that its the same sun, the same moon, the same sky and the same stars...yet they are so distinctly different in different parts of the world. And what makes them special and eternal beauty is their ability to display the different forms that seems so familiar, yet so mysterious, so common and yet so mystic!





No comments: